What is an abortion doula?
For some people this may be a complex idea, but not all people who become pregnant wish to carry that pregnancy on until birth and parenthood.
This then becomes challenging when describing the role of a doula as most doulas are birth doulas. I would like to clarify however that not all doulas are birth doulas, and not all birth doulas support abortion or work as abortion doulas. In my case, I do.
I understand that abortion is part of birth and life and works in harmony with the role of a full spectrum doula. Abortions are normal and a part of every day life.
I am pro choice, pro life and pro abortion if a person needs one.
Do I think abortion doulas are an essential? YES. Keep reading to find out why.
What I do: I am your guide
Judgement free zone.
I am here to support you in a fully confidential and judgement free way. This is your body. Your choice. My role is to support you with whatever decision, no matter how challenging, you make.
How I serve you
Here are the kinds of things I can do for you as your abortion doula. I can...
Help you work out your options, physically, mentally and emotionally. Support you with accurate knowledge, research and evidence. Help you figure out the best way to plan for before, during and after the procedure. Support you through the procedure and process for as long as it takes. Guide and support your partner.
Most importantly, I use my legal skills to advocate for you and make sure you are heard.
5 Reasons why people have an abortion
Here are 5 of the most common reasons as to why people have abortions.
1. Health Conditions. There are many people who are unable to carry their pregnancy to full term due to health conditions. These health conditions may be their own or those belonging to the foetus.
2. Rape. Some pregnancies come about as a result of rape.
3. Contraception not working. No contraception is 100% effective. As a result there will always be a percentage of people who get pregnant and do not wish to keep their pregnancy.
4. Bad timing. Some pregnancies simply come at the wrong time. Figuring out the right time to have a baby is pretty hard as it is, but sometimes there are situations which can make it worse.
5. Toxic relationships and/ or bad finances. Neither of these are the ideal situation in which to have a baby and for some people, the idea of having a baby within a toxic relationship or one where there are financial difficulties would simply be impossible.
Abortion Doula Packages
In Person Abortion Doula Support
90 minute Zoom Call Abortion Support Consultation
This option is if you would like support, guidance and a listening ear on your situation, plans,options and feelings.